Belmont Debate '08
Just a quick note to mention that tonight's presidential debate will take place at my alma mater, Belmont University. The University has a website designated to the debate here. I must say that I always enjoy the "town-hall" style debate a little more than the others, so I'm excited that Belmont was chosen for this debate.
It's also great to see Belmont getting some national recognition for something other than churning out country music stars (Brad Paisley, Trisha Yearwood, and others attended Belmont) and hosting the Country Music Awards ceremony. The ties with country music bring a lot of money into the university, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. At the same time, though, it can distract from other great aspects of the university - first rate educational programs, high-quality symposiums and guest speakers (e.g. David McCullough is coming in March), and great faculty who know that teaching is more than just giving lectures.
Anyway, enough reminiscing. Watch the debate, people...McCain is going to "take the gloves off." Oooo, I bet Obama is scared.
It's also great to see Belmont getting some national recognition for something other than churning out country music stars (Brad Paisley, Trisha Yearwood, and others attended Belmont) and hosting the Country Music Awards ceremony. The ties with country music bring a lot of money into the university, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. At the same time, though, it can distract from other great aspects of the university - first rate educational programs, high-quality symposiums and guest speakers (e.g. David McCullough is coming in March), and great faculty who know that teaching is more than just giving lectures.
Anyway, enough reminiscing. Watch the debate, people...McCain is going to "take the gloves off." Oooo, I bet Obama is scared.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home