3.19.2008

Rock 'n' Roll Bracket

Adding to my obsession with brackets in March, WYSP in Philadelphia has created Rock Madness, a contest to determine the best rock band of all time. Worth filling out the bracket (click here) just for the fun of it (you can also win money if you pick it right).

Here are some of my thoughts:
  • I think Nirvana got screwed getting a 2 seed, especially in Led Zeppelin's bracket. They would make the Final Four easily in the Pearl Jam bracket and possibly the others as well.
  • How is Green Day a 1 seed?
  • Not sure I understand Pink Floyd being a 3 seed either, but I have them making the Final Four anyway, so they don't have much to complain about.
  • My token 12 over 5 upset is Sublime over Aerosmith. Aerosmith has been and is overrated (both in the bracket and in real life).
  • I initially picked Weezer to go to the Final Four on the strength of their early stuff, but am having some regrets due to their more recent work. In fact, you could make a legitimate argument for them not getting out of the first round. However, they are in the weakest region. I mean, GNR as a 2 seed?
  • I think the biggest surprise in my bracket is Beck making a run to the Elite Eight - upsetting a 4, 5 and 1 seed on the way.
  • So these are not my four favorite rock bands, but based on the brackets, I have a Final Four of Weezer, Led Zeppelin, U2, and Pink Floyd.
  • Led Zeppelin beats U2 in the Finals, but U2 barely edged out Pink Floyd to get there. I realize I am a little goo goo over U2 and will probably regret that pick as well. I think maybe Red Hot Chili Peppers deserved to win their bracket, but it's a tough call. If Pink Floyd was still making albums, they would beat U2 for shizzle.
If anyone else fills it out, let me know your picks.

HT to Extra Mustard at SI.com.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rev. <> said...

For my Final four I have Sublime barely sneaking past the Smashing Pumpkins to lose to Zeppelin who beat Nirvana for their final four birth. The Chili Peppers barely get by U2 only to lose to Floyd to rape System of a down after they barely squeezed by Beck. Zeppelin ends up beating Floyd in the Final, though Floyd puts up a great fight. And in the "spike" division, the 6 & 11, and 3 & 14 match-ups are automatically cancelled due to the fact the none of those bands would beat out Sunny and Cher because they all suck that much!

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home