Profession or Business?
HT to the WSJ Law Blog for pointing to an opinion by a federal judge that criticizes the legal community for focusing too much on making money and not enough on legal skill.
Although my time in the legal world has been brief, I couldn't agree more with the commenter who says this:
"The practice of law is a wonderful profession, yet a terrible business to be in."
I enjoy studying law and researching how the law impacts real life situations and truly believe I will enjoy practicing law after graduation next year (in fact, I can't wait to start meeting with and counseling clients on legal matters). But at the same time, I hate worrying about billing hours and am not sure how much I will enjoy the pressure to be a "rainmaker." I understand that business is part of the profession and I accept that. I just wish it was different.
I wonder how many other "professions" have similar feelings. Have all professions become businesses? Health care certainly looks like a business from the outside looking in. Even religious institutions look like this to me. Are there any true "professions" anymore, in the sense that the judge uses the word?
Although my time in the legal world has been brief, I couldn't agree more with the commenter who says this:
"The practice of law is a wonderful profession, yet a terrible business to be in."
I enjoy studying law and researching how the law impacts real life situations and truly believe I will enjoy practicing law after graduation next year (in fact, I can't wait to start meeting with and counseling clients on legal matters). But at the same time, I hate worrying about billing hours and am not sure how much I will enjoy the pressure to be a "rainmaker." I understand that business is part of the profession and I accept that. I just wish it was different.
I wonder how many other "professions" have similar feelings. Have all professions become businesses? Health care certainly looks like a business from the outside looking in. Even religious institutions look like this to me. Are there any true "professions" anymore, in the sense that the judge uses the word?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home