thoughts on Jesus...
My friend Brad recently tagged me in the "5 things I dig about Jesus" meme. I have to admit that until I was tagged, I had no idea what a meme even was. Seems like a good idea, though, so I thought I'd add my thoughts.
I actually considered starting my own meme to discuss things I don't dig about modern "worship music", but it seemed so unlike Jesus to do such a thing, so I'll wait until a later date (let me know if you want to be tagged).
Without further ado, here are 5 things I dig about Jesus:
1. Jesus did not start his "career" until he was 30 years old (see Luke 3:23). I dig this because it puts me a couple years ahead of the ball game. On a more serious note, though, I dig this because it shows that Jesus believed in education. We know from Luke's gospel that Jesus grew in wisdom from the time of his childhood until he began his ministry. I think Jesus was demonstrating the value of studying the scriptural texts in depth before teaching them to others and I think this lesson applies to careers other than ministry.
2. Jesus believed that only the perfect should throw stones at the imperfect, thus eliminating stone throwing altogether. I think being stoned would hurt and that stoning another person would hurt in an altogether different way...so this is a good thing.
3. Jesus put arrogant lawyers in their place (see Matthew 22:35-40) by making that which they felt was complicated, simple. In a way, Jesus was into judicial activism. He knew the law, but also knew that there were principles behind the law that were far more important than the language of the law itself. In other words, if you broke the law by say, healing on the Sabbath, that was a good thing, because although it violated the letter of the law, it upheld the principle of Sabbath.
4. Jesus told great stories - and didn't always explain their meaning. There's nothing I appreciate more than a story, movie, lyric, poem, or piece of art that can be interpreted different ways by different people in different circumstances.
5. Jesus knew when not to speak.
Thanks to Brad for tagging me. Reading all the previous posts reminded me of several other things I dig about Jesus as well, including everything on Brad's post. This was certainly a worthwhile way to spend my time.
Unfortunately, most of the bloggers I know who blog on a regular basis have already been tagged, so I will not be tagging anyone. Sorry...I was always the person who stopped the chain letter as well. Fortunately, 6. Jesus forgives and expects you to do the same.
I actually considered starting my own meme to discuss things I don't dig about modern "worship music", but it seemed so unlike Jesus to do such a thing, so I'll wait until a later date (let me know if you want to be tagged).
Without further ado, here are 5 things I dig about Jesus:
1. Jesus did not start his "career" until he was 30 years old (see Luke 3:23). I dig this because it puts me a couple years ahead of the ball game. On a more serious note, though, I dig this because it shows that Jesus believed in education. We know from Luke's gospel that Jesus grew in wisdom from the time of his childhood until he began his ministry. I think Jesus was demonstrating the value of studying the scriptural texts in depth before teaching them to others and I think this lesson applies to careers other than ministry.
2. Jesus believed that only the perfect should throw stones at the imperfect, thus eliminating stone throwing altogether. I think being stoned would hurt and that stoning another person would hurt in an altogether different way...so this is a good thing.
3. Jesus put arrogant lawyers in their place (see Matthew 22:35-40) by making that which they felt was complicated, simple. In a way, Jesus was into judicial activism. He knew the law, but also knew that there were principles behind the law that were far more important than the language of the law itself. In other words, if you broke the law by say, healing on the Sabbath, that was a good thing, because although it violated the letter of the law, it upheld the principle of Sabbath.
4. Jesus told great stories - and didn't always explain their meaning. There's nothing I appreciate more than a story, movie, lyric, poem, or piece of art that can be interpreted different ways by different people in different circumstances.
5. Jesus knew when not to speak.
Thanks to Brad for tagging me. Reading all the previous posts reminded me of several other things I dig about Jesus as well, including everything on Brad's post. This was certainly a worthwhile way to spend my time.
Unfortunately, most of the bloggers I know who blog on a regular basis have already been tagged, so I will not be tagging anyone. Sorry...I was always the person who stopped the chain letter as well. Fortunately, 6. Jesus forgives and expects you to do the same.

2 Comments:
Hi Teirney,
I got to your site via the "I dig Jesus" meme (I was the one who tagged Brad) and just wanted to say, I like your thoughts about Jesus.
teirney, nice thoughts. funny how our particular slants and interests all influence how we see Jesus. not surprising, but a good reminder that we all wear lenses.
Post a Comment
<< Home