6.02.2007

Hanoi - Week 2

The second week in Hanoi was basically just like the first week. Classes, museums, food and drinks.

The most interesting thing we did was visit the embalmed body of Ho Chi Minh, which is preserved in a mausoleum. "Uncle Ho" is treated almost like a god in Vietnam, even though the country has largely rejected his politics and moved toward capitalism. For example, after leaving the mausoleum, we were treated to several gift shops and cafes, complete with pepsi and other U.S. imports. I'm surprised Ho Chi Minh's emballed body hasn't rolled over in his grave.

You are not allowed to take pictures of Uncle Ho (there is one on Wikipedia), but I did manage to get this picture of the changing of the guard at the presidential palace.


We also visited this jazz club that Bill Clinton went to during his trip to Vietnam while he was president. I'm not sure if Clinton actually played the sax there, but it wouldn't surprise me. The band was quite good, especially the sax player and pianist.
And finally, a picture from the street outside our hotel.
I'm now in L.A. on a layover watching the Stanley Cup finals. I guess I'm cheering for Anaheim, because everyone else here is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home