Scientifically testing prayer...
Apparently, you can scientifically test the effectiveness of prayer. The Washington Post reports: "The study of more than 1,800 heart-bypass patients found that those who had people praying for them had as many complications as those who did not. In fact, one group of patients who knew they were the subject of prayers fared worse."
Obviously, this is a small study and there are several problems with it. What's fascinating, though, is the fact that the study was even done in the first place. First of all, let me say that I have nothing against scientific research. In fact, I think it's necessary and very important. I just find it odd that we continually turn to science to try to prove or disprove religious ideas and beliefs. Doesn't that miss the point altogether?
Finally (and most importantly in my opinion), don't we have better things to spend scientific research money on?
Obviously, this is a small study and there are several problems with it. What's fascinating, though, is the fact that the study was even done in the first place. First of all, let me say that I have nothing against scientific research. In fact, I think it's necessary and very important. I just find it odd that we continually turn to science to try to prove or disprove religious ideas and beliefs. Doesn't that miss the point altogether?
Finally (and most importantly in my opinion), don't we have better things to spend scientific research money on?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home